Australian Koala Foundation

About Australian Koala Foundation

The mission of the Australian Koala Foundation is to be a highly credible, respected and compassionate international scientific organisation which will diminish the threat to the survival of koalas and be an example so as to increase the consciousness of all global citizens and enable them to reverse the rapid degeneration of all the world’s flora and fauna.

BASIC GOALS:

  1. Provide a means of generating and collecting relevant information on the Koala and its habitat.logo
  2. Educate governments, planners and the community generally as to the need to take a long-term view to conserve the flora and fauna of Australia.
  3. To have the AKF recognised as a leading role model for strategic planning for the preservation and long term survival of a species in the wild.
  4. To have the ‘Koala’s worth’ as a tourist icon and generator of tourist revenue recognised by Government, tourist operators and business.
  5. To know where all significant koala habitats capable of sustaining viable koala populations are, and have legislation enacted to protect those areas.   Koala Map.
  6. Given the above (5) those areas protected will support socially stable breeding aggregations of koalas.
  7. To enact into the Australian Parliament a Koala Protection Act.
  8. To raise funds to achieve the above goals.

OBJECTIVES:

  • The Australian Koala Foundation (AKF) is the international organisation whose prime focus and aim is the long-term conservation and effective management of the wild Koala in Australia.
  • The AKF is totally non-government funded.
  • The AKF is politically neutral, unbiased and speaks solely for the koala.
  • The AKF’s mission is to be a highly credible, respected and compassionate international scientific organisation which will diminish the threat to the survival of koalas and be an example so as to increase the consciousness of all global citizens and enable them to reverse the rapid degeneration of all the world’s flora and fauna.

Koalas in the wild face a series of threats to their continued survival mostly stemming from destruction of their habitat for human uses and associated threats like cars, dogs, and disease.

The continued survival of the species depends on the retention and effective management of suitable habitat to support koalas in the wild. The long-term future of the species cannot be guaranteed in captivity.

Since white settlement of Australia over 80% of the koala’s natural habitat has been destroyed and of the remaining 20% almost none is protected. <Most of the koala’s remaining habitat occurs on privately owned land much of which is ‘prime real estate’. Humans compete with koalas for land use throughout much of the koala’s range.

The Koala Habitat Atlas is the main ongoing project of the AKF. It is a growing database showing koala habitat at a high resolution on digitally produced maps within local authority boundaries throughout eastern Australia.   The Koala Habitat Atlas maps are now combined and underpin Koala Map.

The Koala Habitat Atlas has been designed to assist land-use planners by providing much needed information on the occurrence and relative importance of suitable koala habitat so that informed and effective decisions on koala habitat.

To Find Out More Visit Australian Koala Foundation website.